Aerobics can be defined as a physical activity that uses and supplies oxygen + fat, utilizing it for energy production in a specific time frame!
Most of us aspire to have a lean, well toned body.
However, before setting out to achieve this goal, you need to focus on your cardio vascular and respiratory function, commonly referred to CV or aerobic exercise, by developing a rudimentary fitness base and after that you can progress in to body toning and sports specific activity.
Out of many energy production systems in the human body, Aerobics falls under the endurance system or aerobic glycolysis.
For many, “aerobics” means attending a class in order to get an effective workout. However, there are many other alternative forms of effective exercises such as:
- Cycling (indoor or outdoor)
- Dancing (especially Latin American)
- Walking your pet
- Playing a sport with your kids
After a period of participation some might feel stagnated with their current exercises.
At this point, an option might be to join a group class, which might also include many exciting aerobic methods which are evolving around the world apart from traditional aerobics, such as:
- Latin Dance based classes
- Aqua Aerobics
- Step Aerobics
- Boxing or Kick boxing based
- Group Rowing
- Outdoor activity
By attending a class you are more likely to be motivated, as a good instructor can lead a class safely and effectively in a fun filled environment and you also get to make new friends.
Remember to select a mode of exercise which suits your fitness level and personal preference.
Important points to remember
- Do a fitness/health assessment before starting an appropriate program
- Gradual warm up for 10 minutes and 20-30 minutes aerobic session
- Maintain your target heart rate (Ask your Trainer/Instructor/Doctor)
- Proper clothing and shoes for appropriate surface
- If you develop any pain or discomfort after exercising you should inform it to your (Trainer/Instructor/Doctor)
- Gradual progression
- Appropriate cool down
- Aerobics/CV training should be done at least 3 times a week
- Major Benefits:
- Increase lung capacity
- Increase circulation
- Lowers fat level
- Burns more calories
- Lowering blood pressure (due to efficient heart function)
- Faster recovery from strenuous activity
- Improves muscle and skeletal tone
With this basic knowledge, your next walk or aerobic class will be something to look forward to, – as aerobic exercise is one of the best natural medicines you can give your heart and lungs!